Friday, July 20, 2012

DIY Necklace Display

Lately I have been collecting small, fallen tree branches from Golden Gate Park for some crafty project ideas. I had the idea of converting a tree branch into a jewelry holder for my bracelets and necklaces. Here's what I did:  



My original branch was beautifully Y shaped but it was too long for where I wanted to place it, so I broke it in half. Then I painted it with acrylic craft paint in a striped pattern.




When the paint was still a little wet, I rubbed a wet towel over the branches to give the paint a more distressed/faded look. Then I glued on some bits of lace and let it dry overnight.  




After a frustrating hour of trying to hammer nails into the branch, I finally just hot glued the two big sticks together and tied them for more support. Then I gathered a small stick from outside, cut them into little pieces, and glued them onto the bigger branches to create little, faux wood nibs. I suppose I could have just hung my necklaces around the actual branches, but I wanted a faster way to select jewelry.  




I placed two command hooks on the wall (I'm a renter!) and moved the branch into the hooks until they were wedged in a tight spot. I'm really happy with the result. I love the natural/hand-made look of it and how pretty my jewelry looks! 

No comments:

Post a Comment